Auburn Graphic Design Juried Show 2021, juried by Elise Thomason:
GDUSA American Packaging Design Award 2021
Create an illustrated album promotion piece based on selected songs by an artist of your choice.
Much of half • alive’s music centers around a psychological principle which describes the human soul being torn in two—one half pulled toward life; one half toward death. To invoke this tension and the idea of manipulation of the human soul, colorful photography of a bubble just before it pops was combined with ghostly hands, describing the balance between light and dark, life and death, and stability and fragility. The disconnected hands and arms serve as a pushing, pulling, or shaping force and are a common motif in the band's music videos and live performances.
1. I had to experiment to get the right number of bubbles, lighting scenario, diffusion, etc for a clean result.
2. A single bubble held under a large diffuser emerged as the most successful result of my experiments.
3. Photographing my hands in various poses allowed me to experiment with the best composition for the cover and interior panels.
4. Sketching layouts brought me to the best composition for various panels and gave me a sense of how all facets of the piece would work together.
5. Experimenting with different coloration techniques on the hands explored different interactions with the background tones.
6. Positioning the bubble artwork as a sphere being manipulated by two disconnected hands emerged as the most compelling design.